BLDS is committed to making its services and facilities accessible for all.
Getting into the library
- The entrance to the library is on the first floor.
- Enter the IDS building by the disabled side entrance, to the left of the main steps.
- Take the lift to level 1A.
- Turn right into the library entrance.
Access on the first floor
- There is full access on this floor, including to the service counter, library workstation computers, and photocopying/scanning facilities.
- Book collections accessible on this floor: Teaching & Research Methods Collections, Quick Reference, IDS Publications and Fiction.
Access on the ground floor
- Access to this floor of the library (Monographs and Serials Collections) is via a locked door.
- We can arrange for a member of library staff to let you through the door – please either contact us in advance or ask at the service counter on the first floor.
- Some book stacks are quite narrow, and may not be accessible to all library users.
Please note the library basement is closed access to all: library staff will retrieve items stored in this location on your behalf.
- The service counter is at a height suitable for wheelchair users, as are all library workstations.
- A text magnifier is available for use with printed documents.
Library services to users with disabilities:
- Extended loan periods.
- A book collection service.
Please contact the library’s Disability Representative to make an appointment to discuss any special requirements that you may have or for more information.
Please note that IDS students are also entitled to professional advice and support from the Student Support Unit at the University of Sussex.
The library’s Disability Representative is Stephanie Watson.
Telephone: +44 (0)1273 915662
Write to: Disability Representative, BLDS, IDS, Library Road, Brighton, BN1 9RE